|This article or section is Under Construction.|
Please check back later or contribute to the page to add as much as you can.
- "Hmm, as I thought. My calculations were correct. I knew you'd be here! In order to avoid future complication, I need you to die!"
- ―Donald during operation code T8.
Donald Chan is a character in the Airforce Delta series who appears as a main character and a minor antagonist in Airforce Delta Strike.
Donald is the 1st Captain of Ganos Flying Division. He is known as "The Fighting Machine."
Little is known about Donald's life before the game's events. His character profile mentions that before Ganos surrendered to the O.C.C., he showed great courage in battle, but lost his companions in the process. He began to doubt the value of courage and has since striven to become like a machine, being precise and ruthless. If he is killed in Up Stream, he mentions that he can now follow a girl who was supposedly his romantic interest.
Donald is portrayed as intelligent, cold, ruthless, and calculating. He tries to be emotionless like a machine, believing that emotions are a liability. Sometimes, when he gets shot down, he falls into an angry state as he bails out.
Donald is a tall, muscular man with long, white hair that sticks out from beneath his helmet. If one looks closely, they will see that he wears a pair of glasses with pink-colored lenses and he has a large, red scar on his face that goes over his left eye. His eyes appear to be light-yellow. Like most O.C.C. pilots, he is never seen without his helmet and flight gear.
Events of AFD Strike
Donald first appears in the Intercept mission Encount (Twister). He says he knew that Delta has come and orders Dragon 4 to 6 to change course and move to phase B. After John Rundal leaves the battle zone to deal with an enemy squadron, Donald says it's not quite what he predicted and tells his allies never mind and to commence attack. After some fighting, Donald is shot down and he says, "No time to think... Punching out!" and he bails out. If the mission is played with John, Donald also tells Dragon 4 to 6 to change course and move to phase B, but he also tells the remaining Dragon units to move to intercept the enemy. Donald is shot down after some fighting and he says the same thing as before.
Later, Donald appears again in the mission Hyper Speed Rick where he finds Rick Campbell in a high-speed recon plane at the Kotor Stronghold and he says, "Coming alone to a place like this... How very inefficient. But with those injuries... I've got to hand it to you. Interesting machine you've got there. Hard to control though." and pursues Rick. If Rick flies at a minimum of 1600 miles per hour, Donald says, "It's fast all right, I'm dying to know how they found it." and after Rick helps Harry Garrett measure the hangars, Donald says, "What, not attacking? What's going on?" and then after Rick helps Harry finish measuring the hangars, Harry tells him to leave the battle zone and Donald says, "Running away? That might not be a bad idea.". As Rick flies away, Donald tells him, "Did you get the information? That's the key to who lives and dies. There's no way we're going down here! Tell them that!" and Rick escapes. In the debriefing, Donald meets Sergei Kinski who introduces himself and his subordinate, Albert Ungar. Donald tells him he remembers his name and recognizes him as that Merv "Emperor," and that's the name of his gifted successor. Albert then tells Donald it's an honor to hear that from the "fighting machine" and asks about a reconnaissance plane being spotted. Donald explains that it was a single plane and they pursued him, but they failed and he escaped unscathed and Sergei tells him not to let it get him down and they can make up for it with kills in the air battles. Donald agrees, but states that their enemy knows the location of the Kotor Stronghold if the recon plane escaped and they can anticipate an attack. Albert states they must immediately strengthen their defenses and Donald agrees. They then hear a voice saying, "Now I get it! That's why we were invited." and Donald wonders who it is. It is then revealed to be Francine Davout who states that this is the first time they've met and introduces herself and her butler, Jake Emerson. Donald is intrigued to meet her and recognizes her as the lady from the Ecbatana Aviation Army, stating he has heard about her achievements and she is highly skilled. Francine tells him it is an honor to hear that and she's heard of his famous nickname. Francine then delightfully states that it certainly is amazing to see the greatest O.C.C. pilots come together all at once like this and that it must be to get them motivated to face the enemy's main force and she's glad the O.C.C. still has a flair for style. Donald informs her that they are soldiers; they follow their orders, no more and no less, and style plays no part in it. Francine replies with, "My, aren't we the straight-laced type. But you'll never create a masterpiece battle like that." After some more conversations between the pilots, Donald says he needs to head to the hangar since he has some maintenance to take care of and he's counting on solid teamwork once the mission starts and Sergei agrees before Donald leaves.
After the fall of the Kotor Stronghold, he is encountered once again in Operation code T8, defending the oil rig. After the mission, he questions how he could have failed, noting that he "threw all that "sentiment" rubbish away", and how being a machine has kept him alive. He then ponders if he is "broken", and where and how he can get "repaired".
He is last encountered in Operation Sky Scraper - Up Stream, flying alongside Ellen McNichol. He can be shot down and killed in this level. If he is shot down before Ellen, he notes that "I couldn't become a machine... Was there some flaw? Or was it just a mistake?", before saying that he "...can go and join her", before dying. Ellen curses the pilot who shot him down, saying that "He was a good pilot".
If he is shot down after Ellen, his ending speech is a bit different. He questions how he could have miscalculated, before saying that he can "follow her", and that he's "tired of it all" before dying.
It is possible, however, to spare him. If the orbital elevator passes "point A" (I.E, getting into attack range), he will order the Orc unit to "move to phase B", and he will flee the battlezone, surviving. As a result, he is one of three OCC aces who can survive the war, alongside Leon Kleiser and Albert Ungar (if Ellen is not rescued). His fate if he does survive the war is unknown, as he does not appear in the game again.
- "But I'd worked it all out... (...) I couldn't become a machine... Was it some flaw... Or just a mistake? (...) Ah, now at last I can go and join her..."
- ―Donald's death quote during Up Stream, if he is killed before Ellen is shot down.
- "How could I have miscalculated...? Ah, now I can follow her... I'm... Tired... of it all..."
- ―Donald's death quote during Up Stream, if he is killed after Ellen is shot down.
- Call sign - Unknown
- T.A.C name - Machine
- Plane colors - Blue with white, swirly lines. His Su-37 has Ganos markings on it.
- Encount (Twister) (Optional mission, pilots a JH-7)
- Hyper Speed Rick (Pilots a JH-7)
- operation code T8 (Pilots an Su-37)
- Up Stream (Pilots an FC-1 Fighter China, can be killed)
- It appears that he is meant to be a dark reflection of Ken Thomas. Both of them are very stoic pilots, rarely letting their emotions flare. They both fly blue-colored planes (Though while the lines of Ken's aircraft are straight an organized, Donald's lines are much more chaotic and wild), they both have lost a loved one (Ken losing Ellen, and Donald losing an unnamed girl), and both have a facial scar. In Donald's bio, it is noted that he believes that Ken has the potential to become "a fighting machine" himself.
- This is somewhat offset by the fact that the two never directly converse and interact, however. Thus, the connection is never made.
- Discounting the Type-R2: Vamps, Donald in his Su-37 offers the highest monetary reward among all aces in normal aircraft (67 thousand credits for a missile kill, 135 thousand credits for a gun kill). This is higher than even Albert Ungar in his Su-47 (66 thousand with missiles, 132 thousand with vulcans).
- Donald is one of only three O.C.C aces who can survive the war, the others being Leon Kleiser and Albert Ungar (only if Ellen is not rescued).
- Out of all of his planes, only his Su-37 has Ganos markings on it. The others simply have his standard paint scheme.
|Airforce Delta Strike Characters|
|Ken Thomas · Ruth Valentine · John Rundal · Jamie Jones · Rick Campbell · Alex Levine · Holst Prendre · Pedro Glankert · Brian Douglas · Robert Williams · Lilia Mihajlovna · Amelia Johnson · Harry Garrett · Bob Takayanagi · David Smith · Collette Le Clerc · Constance Le Clerc · Navigator · Albert Ungar · Pierre Gallo · Ellen McNichol · Sergei Kinski · Giuseppe Ferretti · Francine Davout · Leon Kleiser · Donald Chan · Jake Emerson|